COVID-19: Resources for Small and Medium Businesses
As the situation continues to unfold, it is very important for small and medium businesses to remain informed and we will continue to update this page as more information becomes available; please check back regularly for new updates.
Many businesses will be re-opening in the coming days and many of you will be looking for PPE and other equipment to ensure that you are able to keep your customers and staff safe. We are excited to announce that the Barrhaven BIA has developed a PPE Portal to make it easier for you, our members, to source everything that you need.
BIA Daily Updates
Since March 13th, we have been sending daily updates to members with the latest developments and initiatives. To sign up, click here.
We are listening and working around the clock to help!
Early on, we asked you, our members, to complete a survey about your immediate and long term needs in dealing with this crisis and we are using this information to guide us in supporting you. We thank everyone for taking the time to complete it as it is guiding our actions.
Check out a summary of the responses here.
Webinar: Tips to Maintain Your Market Presence During the COVID-19 Crisis
Mark Dickie from 20Eight will share ideas on how all businesses – big or small, temporarily closed, operating in a scaled-back capacity or still open for business can maintain communication with their customers and nurture new relationships for when business resumes. Learn how to safeguard your business from competitors who are looking to hijack your customer relationships that you have worked so hard for over the years.
Time: Apr 23, 2020 @ 09:00 AM
Thanks to everyone who joined us! If you missed the webinar, we have got your covered as well:
Webinar: Maintaining a Healthy Workplace Under Physical and Social Distancing
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, business leaders are finding great ways to interact with their employees, both currently working or laid-off, while respecting physical and social distancing. In some cases, businesses are fortunate enough to survive through working at home arrangements and other modified service delivery options. Whether you are managing remotely or hosting video conference calls, virtual happy hours, offering mental health support or just checking in with your employees in ways that you have not used before, you might be putting yourself and your business at new risks of employee harassment, violence, wrongdoing and fraud.
Ken McCarthy of Integrity By McCarthy Inc. will share his insights and lead a discussion on risks that business owners face in this new environment, what can be done now to mitigate these risks, and how businesses can set the stage for a successful return to the new normal.
Questions that will be explored through this webinar are the following:
- Under COVID-19, how have our ways of interacting with our employees and doing business with our customers/clients changed?
- What employee related risks do we face under COVID-19’s way of doing business?
- For risks that pre-existed, why might the risk levels be higher now?
- Is it time to panic?
- What risk controls should we have in place?
- How do we set the stage for a successful entry into the new normal?
Thanks to everyone who joined us! If you missed the webinar, we have got your covered as well:
Webinar: Post-COVID Business Flow Planning for Personal Service Providers
As we approach re-opening, it is crucial that businesses start planning now. Business models may need to change in order to ensure the safety of both clients and staff. In the personal service industry, businesses will face many challenges in order to operate in this new environment. Cedargrove Massage Therapy will lead this discussion with ideas and possible solutions to many of the challenges that businesses may face.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Changing business models (by appointment only, open but locked, etc.)
- Curb-side pick up options
- Assessment and hygiene protocols
- PPE requirements
Thank you to everyone who participated in this webinar. Check out the slide deck for more information including additional resources on the last page.
Webinar: Commercial Insurance & COVID-19: What You Need Know
Join us for a presentation and discussion led by Sheldon Carrasco and Whitney Quail of Desjardins Insurance. Whether you have closed your doors or altered your business model, it is important to have a discussion with your insurance provider to ensure that you are properly covered. Sheldon and Whitney will guide you through some of the considerations that must be made to ensure that you are covered should you need to make a claim.
Time: May 14, 2020 10:00 AM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 850 2639 5736
Webinar: Pivoting Your Business to be Digital-Centric
We invite you to join us this Friday, May 22nd at 10am as Mark Dickie of 20Eight Digital discusses the importance of digital transformation in this constantly changing environment.
COVID-19 caught most businesses off-guard. To quote Shopify’s CEO, “retail changes anticipated in 2030 are happening today”. We will discuss how to make your business more digital-centric to meet today’s economic reality and to prepare for the bumpy road ahead.
Time: May 22, 2020 10:00 AM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 852 0991 6553
Weekly Open Zoom Call for Barrhaven Businesses
We are excited to announce that we will be doing weekly open video calls for Barrhaven businesses to come together. Participants are able to discuss concerns and share best practices. You are not alone and we can call work together to get through this. Mark your calendars as these weekly call will take place every Wednesday at 10am. We hope to see you there!
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 @ 10:00am
We are advocating and lobbying on your behalf with all levels of government including city councillors, the Mayor’s office, our Member of Provincial Parliament, Member of Parliament, and Federal Cabinet Ministers. We continue to work independently and and with other advocacy groups, to lobby the governments for immediate assistance for Small and Medium Businesses. Here are a few of initiatives we have supported:
- SSB & TABIA – Federal Commercial Rent Abatement Strategy
- OCOBIA letter to Minister McKenna
- OBIAA letter to Premier Ford
- TABIA proposal to Minister of Finance Morneau
- OBIAA letter to Prime Minister Trudeau
- OCOBIA letter to MP Chandra Arya
- IDA letter to Prime Minister Trudeau
- OCOBIA letter of appreciation for CECRA program to MP Chandra Arya
- OCOBIA letter to Premier Doug Ford re: O-CECRA and Moratorium on Commercial Evictions
- IDA Canada letter to Federal Government re: CECRA
Concerns Over Commercial Rent
We are raising this concern with all levels of government and we are collecting data. At this point, if you are concerned about not being able to pay rent, it is imperative that you have an honest conversation with your landlord immediately. No property owner wants to have a massive number of empty storefronts heading into an imminent recession so it is important for tenants and landlords to work together. If you’d like advice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mall Tenants Groups
We are currently putting together tenant groups for each of our malls as it is important that we support one another through this time and there is value in sharing your ideas and concerns. Through this initiative, consenting businesses will be able to access the contact information of the other businesses in their mall and we hope set up mall specific Zoom calls in the coming days and weeks.
In order to participate, you must give us consent to share your contact information. Emails were sent out on Friday but if you did not receive one and would like to participate, please email email@example.com ASAP. We cannot add you to the group without your consent. Please pass the word along to your neighbours as we don’t have email addresses for everyone.
#SHOPLOCAL ONLINE #MYBARRHAVEN
The Barrhaven BIA has launched an Online Portal to showcase businesses with online sales capabilities. The community has shown interest in supporting our local businesses in this challenging time and purchasing gift certificates online is a great way to improve cash flow. If you would like to be included in our online portal, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t already have e-commerce capabilities and don’t know where to start, please email email@example.com for assistance. The portal can be found at https://barrhavenbia.ca/shop-online-barrhaven/.
Information on COVID-19
OTTAWA PUBLIC HEALTH – Up to date information on the current situation in Ottawa including resources for businesses.
GOVERNMENT OF ONTARIO HEALTH AND WELLNESS – Current situation in the province along with an at home self-assessment tool.
PUBLIC HEALTH CANADA – A central resource for how the Government of Canada is responding to the COVID-19 crisis. This includes travel advisories and guidance.
Resources and Links for Businesses
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance for Small Businesses
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Calculator and Application Information
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- Federal Government Wage Subsidy Program – Backgrounder – April 8th, 2020
- Federal Government Wage Subsidy Program – Backgrounder – April 1st, 2020
- Corporations Canada – Extending Annual Return Deadlines
- BDC – 7 steps to sustain your business through the disruption
- Food & Consumer Products of Canada – COVID-19 Operations Best Practices for Industry
- Department of Finance: Details on Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- Canada Revenue Agency – Income tax filing and payment dates: CRA and COVID-19
- Canada Self-Assessment Tool and App
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Pandemic Preparedness
- Business Credit Availability Program
- Resources for Canadian Businesses: COVID-19
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- BDC: Support for entrepreneurs impacted by the coronavirus COVID-19
- Government of Canada – Employment and Social Development – Benefits and Services
- Canadian Business Resilience Network (CBRN)
- Prime Minister announces new support for COVID-19 medical research and vaccine development
- Prime Minister announces new support for students and new grads
- Prime Minister announces further support to help Canadians in need
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) portal
- NRC IRAP Innovation Assistance Program (April 22)
- Prime Minister announces new support to protect Canadian jobs
- ISED—Support for your business—Find COVID-19 support and other programs and services
GOVERNMENT OF ONTARIO
- A Framework for Reopening our Province
- Ontario-Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program
- Ontario Government – Essential Services
- Ontario – Stop the Spread – Business Information Line – 1-888-444-3659
- Public Health Ontario – Cleaning and Disinfection for Public Settings
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19
- Health and Safety Association Guidance Documents for Workplaces During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Survey on the Economic Impacts of COVID-19
CITY OF OTTAWA
- City of Ottawa – Expansion of the Property Tax Hardship Deferral Program
- Resources for Businesses
- Buy Local Campaign
- Impacted City Facilities and Services
- Rules and Restrictions
- Support and Assistance
- Wearing Non-Medical Masks
- Ottawa Board of Trade – FREE Webinars -The Ottawa Board of Trade are offering a variety of FREE webinars which are open to all. This complimentary webinar series is designed to support you in our current economy and beyond. Check out their events calendar for full details. Here are the topics:
- Managing Your Cash Flow – April 2, 2020 at 11 am
- Business Insurance in the COVID-19 Context – April 7, 2020 at 11am
- Resilience: The Art of Bouncing Back – April 9, 2020 at 11am
- Tax Measures & Business Assistance Programs – April 14, 2020 at 11am
- HR Issues Related to COVID-19 – April 16, 2020 at 11am
- Leading a Virtual Team – April 21, 2020 at 11am
- Culture, Engagement & COVID-19 – April 23, 2020 at 11am
- Advertising in Uncertain Times – Blog from Barrhaven’s own 20Eight Digital
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety Tip Sheets for Businesses
- Ipsos have developed a series of webinars for small businesses coping with the COVID-19 crisis. Check out their website for more information but here are a few that may be of interest to Barrhaven businesses:
- The Path Forward: The New Foodservice Landscape – April 28th
- The Path Forward: Measuring your new front line – May 6th
- The Path Forward: From Empathy to Impact – May 14th
- The Path Forward: Canada’s Creative Fightback – May 25th
- Commercial Lease Enforcement
- SaveSmallBusiness.ca – Tracking permanently closed and endangered small businesses
This organization is tracking the impact of the COVID-19 Crisis on small businesses and have compiled a map of businesses across the country who are either permanently closed or endangered. In the last 2 days, more than 1500 businesses have responded.
Send a powerful message by adding your business today; this gets more powerful – for policy makers and for our fellow citizens – with more voices.
- Business Preparedness Checklist
We have put together a checklist to help guide businesses that are preparing to reopen. The list is to help guide your development of policies and procedures to keep your staff and customers safe. Take a moment to review it as you move forward.
- OBIAA – Curb-Side Pick Up Information
As more businesses prepare for curb-side pick up next week, OBIAA have developed a document with suggestions and guidelines for best practices if you choose to reopen with this model. The goal is to keep everyone safe and this document contains many helpful hints to help you do just that.
Suppliers and Planning for Reopening
As we approach re-opening, it is important for all businesses to consider the resources that they will need to provide a safe environment for both staff and customers. As we receive information from suppliers, we will share it with you to help with this process.
- JDP Promotions have some very important items that have helped reemphasize one of the simplest and most effective ways to avoid the spread of COVID-19. They produce floor graphics to help remind people about social and physical distancing. Find out more.
- Gilmore Reproductions has an online store for signage and messaging for Social Distancing. The product options are available for wall, window and floor applications. Should there be a requirement to customize the art or message, Gilmore will be able to assist with those requests. Find out more.