COVID-19: Resources for Small and Medium Businesses
As the situation continues to unfold, it is very important for small and medium businesses to remain informed and we will continue to update this page as more information becomes available; please check back regularly for new updates.
Many businesses will be re-opening in the coming days and many of you will be looking for PPE and other equipment to ensure that you are able to keep your customers and staff safe. We are excited to announce that the Barrhaven BIA has developed a PPE Portal to make it easier for you, our members, to source everything that you need.
BIA Daily Updates
Since March 13th, we have been sending daily updates to members with the latest developments and initiatives. To sign up, click here.
We are listening and working around the clock to help!
Early on, we asked you, our members, to complete a survey about your immediate and long term needs in dealing with this crisis and we are using this information to guide us in supporting you. We thank everyone for taking the time to complete it as it is guiding our actions.
Check out a summary of the responses here.
Commercial Rent Assistance Survey
As members of the Ottawa Coalition of BIAs (OCOBIA), we have been working with our provincial counterparts on collecting information on the take-up of the CECRA. The program has gaps and the best way to identify them is to have better data.
Today is the start of week 12 of the shutdown and it is June 1st… rent day. We hope that all members (tenants and landlords) have been able to come to mutual agreements regarding rent payments. With the launch of the CECRA program last week, we would appreciate your feedback on this and the other programs available to assist with funding for small business owners.
Please take a few minutes to complete the survey. There are two links below: one for tenants and one for landlords. The information that we collect from these surveys is vital in helping us to better advocate on your behalf.
The survey will close this Wednesday, June 3 at noon. This survey is being circulated to landlords and tenants in all BIAs in the cities of Toronto, Ottawa and Guelph.
Thank you so much for your time and assistance with this – it is greatly appreciated.
Here are the links:
Made in Barrhaven Business Reopening Toolkits
The Barrhaven BIA is looking at putting together a Made in Barrhaven Business Reopening Toolkit to be provided to businesses FREE OF CHARGE in order to assist with safety measures upon reopening. These kits will include a variety of items to help businesses encourage customers and clients to physical distance while highlighting best practices and safety precautions. Please complete the form so that we are able to better understand interest and create packages that will be useful to you. Packages will be branded to encourage a sense of community and Shopping Local in #MyBarrhaven. Packages could include the following:
- Open for Business Signs
- Floor Stickers to encourage physical distancing
- Signs for hand washing
- Signs encouraging physical and social distancing
- Stop the Spread signs with tips including hand washing, distancing, wearing masks etc.
- Signs encouraging the use of hand sanitizer
- Signs to indicate clean surfaces
All items will be of commercial quality. Please complete this form to show your interest in receiving a kit and guide us in putting them together. We need to know numbers in order to move forward and we will have finalized details to you as soon as possible.
Webinar: Tips to Maintain Your Market Presence During the COVID-19 Crisis
Webinar: Maintaining a Healthy Workplace Under Physical and Social Distancing
Webinar: Post-COVID Business Flow Planning for Personal Service Providers
Webinar: Commercial Insurance & COVID-19: What You Need Know
Webinar: Pivoting Your Business to be Digital-Centric
Webinar: Keeping Everyone Safe with PPE
Weekly Open Zoom Call for Barrhaven Businesses
We are excited to announce that we will be doing weekly open video calls for Barrhaven businesses to come together. Participants are able to discuss concerns and share best practices. You are not alone and we can call work together to get through this. Mark your calendars as these weekly call will take place every Wednesday at 10am. We hope to see you there!
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020 @ 10:00am
We are advocating and lobbying on your behalf with all levels of government including city councillors, the Mayor’s office, our Member of Provincial Parliament, Member of Parliament, and Federal Cabinet Ministers. We continue to work independently and and with other advocacy groups, to lobby the governments for immediate assistance for Small and Medium Businesses. Here are a few of initiatives we have supported:
- SSB & TABIA – Federal Commercial Rent Abatement Strategy
- OCOBIA letter to Minister McKenna
- OBIAA letter to Premier Ford
- TABIA proposal to Minister of Finance Morneau
- OBIAA letter to Prime Minister Trudeau
- OCOBIA letter to MP Chandra Arya
- IDA letter to Prime Minister Trudeau
- OCOBIA letter of appreciation for CECRA program to MP Chandra Arya
- OCOBIA letter to Premier Doug Ford re: O-CECRA and Moratorium on Commercial Evictions
- IDA Canada letter to Federal Government re: CECRA
Concerns Over Commercial Rent
We are raising this concern with all levels of government and we are collecting data. At this point, if you are concerned about not being able to pay rent, it is imperative that you have an honest conversation with your landlord immediately. No property owner wants to have a massive number of empty storefronts heading into an imminent recession so it is important for tenants and landlords to work together. If you’d like advice, please email email@example.com.
#SHOPLOCAL ONLINE #MYBARRHAVEN
The Barrhaven BIA has launched an Online Portal to showcase businesses with online sales capabilities as well as those that have currently reopened. This page is getting a lot of traffic from the Barrhaven community as the movement to #ShopLocal continues to grow. We are working hard to keep this page updated but if your business is not listed or you have expanded your service offerings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on COVID-19
OTTAWA PUBLIC HEALTH – Up to date information on the current situation in Ottawa including resources for businesses.
GOVERNMENT OF ONTARIO HEALTH AND WELLNESS – Current situation in the province along with an at home self-assessment tool.
PUBLIC HEALTH CANADA – A central resource for how the Government of Canada is responding to the COVID-19 crisis. This includes travel advisories and guidance.
Resources and Links for Businesses
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
- Government of Canada COVID-19 Portal
- Government of Canada Support for Businesses
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- Canada Emergency Business Account
- Extending the Work Sharing Program
- Income Tax Filing and Payment Deadlines
- Regional Relief and Recovery Fund
GOVERNMENT OF ONTARIO
- A Framework for Reopening our Province
- Ontario-Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program
- Ontario Government – Essential Services
- Ontario – Stop the Spread – Business Information Line – 1-888-444-3659
- Public Health Ontario – Cleaning and Disinfection for Public Settings
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19
- Health and Safety Association Guidance Documents for Workplaces During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Survey on the Economic Impacts of COVID-19
CITY OF OTTAWA
- City of Ottawa – Business Reopening Toolkit
- City of Ottawa – Expansion of the Property Tax Hardship Deferral Program
- Resources for Businesses
- Buy Local Campaign
- Impacted City Facilities and Services
- Rules and Restrictions
- Support and Assistance
- Wearing Non-Medical Masks
- Advertising in Uncertain Times – Blog from Barrhaven’s own 20Eight Digital
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety Tip Sheets for Businesses
- Commercial Lease Enforcement
- SaveSmallBusiness.ca – Tracking permanently closed and endangered small businesses
This organization is tracking the impact of the COVID-19 Crisis on small businesses and have compiled a map of businesses across the country who are either permanently closed or endangered. In the last 2 days, more than 1500 businesses have responded.
Send a powerful message by adding your business today; this gets more powerful – for policy makers and for our fellow citizens – with more voices.
- Business Preparedness Checklist
We have put together a checklist to help guide businesses that are preparing to reopen. The list is to help guide your development of policies and procedures to keep your staff and customers safe. Take a moment to review it as you move forward.
- OBIAA – Curb-Side Pick Up Information
As more businesses prepare for curb-side pick up next week, OBIAA have developed a document with suggestions and guidelines for best practices if you choose to reopen with this model. The goal is to keep everyone safe and this document contains many helpful hints to help you do just that.