Strandherd Drive Widening
City of Ottawa – Project Update
Strandherd Drive is being widened to a four-lane cross section from Maravista Drive to Jockvale Road in Barrhaven. The project is approximately 3.3 kilometres in length. It will provide capacity for existing and future traffic volumes during peak periods and facilitate the movement of cyclists and pedestrians through the corridor.
The bulk of this work is expected to commence in 2020 pending approvals, including the completion of the VIA Rail agreements. The total investment for the Strandherd Drive Widening is approximately $113 million.
This project includes:
- Improvements and extensions to watermain and sewers
- The construction of a temporary road detour
- Widening Strandherd Drive to four lanes
- Elevated and segregated cycle tracks in both directions
- New sidewalks
- A grade separation over the existing VIA Rail line
Advanced Construction Work:
To prepare for the upcoming work in 2020, advanced construction commenced in August and was completed in November 2019. The advanced construction work included:
- A new watermain on Jockvale Road (from Exeter/Tartan Drive to 50 m south of Strandherd Drive)
- A new watermain on Strandherd Drive (from Greenbank Road to Jockvale Road)
- The widening of Strandherd Drive to provide two westbound lanes between Maravista Drive and Kennevale Drive
- The widening of Strandherd Drive to provide an eastbound right-turn lane at Borrisokane Road
- Intersection modifications at Fraser Fields Way to implement left-turn restrictions
The design of the Strandherd Drive Widening project is progressing well. We are still on track to begin construction in summer 2020.
A pre-qualification process for construction has been completed and firms have been shortlisted for the opportunity to bid on the construction contract.
Mobility & You
Contact the City of Ottawa
Visit us on the web.
Have questions? Email the project manager at Josee.Vallee@ottawa.ca