In the 40+ years that Hummingbird Music/Nepean School of Music has been serving our community, they have seen tens of thousands of students come through their doors. Students not only gain a skill and music appreciation but also confidence and camaraderie, and founder/owner Susan Raybould is always touched to hear where these skills and connections have taken them later in life. Having recently partnered with Accel Music, they continue to grow with a current staff of 27 teachers and 5 administrators. No matter your skill level or experience, there is something for everyone at Hummingbird Music and they pride themselves in pairing their students with the right teacher to achieve their goals; whether you or your child aspire to be in a rock band one day or study the Royal Conservatory methods, there are teachers to help you achieve any musical goal.
Susan Raybould began teaching out of her home in 1976 just outside of Barrhaven. As her business began to grow (and parking became an issue on her quiet residential street), her Realtor suggested she look at a space in a place called “Barrhaven” which was unknown to her at the time. Raybould Music opened its doors at 900 Greenbank Road (in what was then known as the Barrhaven Mall) in 1978 with 4 teaching studios on the 2nd floor. As the business continued to grow, the name was changed to Nepean School of Music and they moved to their current space in the basement of the mall. Over time, they have grown throughout the space adding numerous teaching studios, 2 band rehearsal spaces, and a recording studio. As the company grew, there came another name change to the current Hummingbird Music which is the parent company to Nepean School of Music, Pebble Studios, and Boulder Records.
Hummingbird Music offers a variety of programs and options for musicians of all skill levels. They offer 1 on 1 lessons for all levels but also exciting opportunities for those who want to take their musical skills to the next level. With a recording studio and artist management on site, musicians are able to transition through the programs to a professional level:
- Private Music Lessons – Students are able to train with talented and experienced instructors who teach piano, violin, guitar, drums, voice, flute, saxophone and more.
- JamClinic – This program is designed for young musicians looking to gain knowledge on the music industry. Over the span of a week, participants will split their time between educational sessions and intensive practices to prepare for a showcase at the end of the week. Their next session will run over March Break.
- Band Program – Want to be in a band but don’t know where to start? Hummingbird Music currently has 12 bands in this program where participants are matched with bandmates and work with a coach.
- Orchestra – String instrumentalists come together with an experienced instructor.
- Choir – Vocalists come together to sing in a choir setting.
- Duos – Be paired with a like minded musician to create some great music! Duos have shared lessons with an experienced instructor.
Hummingbird Music believes that performance opportunities are integral to a student’s growth musically and provide a variety of performance opportunities for students at every level including semi-annual concerts, showcases, and coffee houses.
Check out their new HMTV segments on Facebook: www.facebook.com/hummingbirdmusicltd